What are Butterfly Valves?
Butterfly valves have become more popular than ball valves in many industries these days. Butterfly valves are quarter-turn valves that are used to start or stop the flow of a liquid or gas. It comes with a disk which is mounted on a rotating shaft.
Butterfly valves have majorly four components which are listed below:
- Body: The butterfly valve is usually made to fit between two pipe flanges. You can either choose the lug design or the wafer design for the body.
- Stem: The stem of the butterfly valve can be a one-piece design or two-piece design.
- Seat: Different types of polymers or elastomers are used to make the seat in a butterfly valve. It can be bonded, locked in or pressed to the body of the valve.
- Disk: This part of the valve is responsible for the flow closure. If the valve is closed, the disk blocks the line. If it is completely opened, the disk comes to a 90-degree angle.
Many variations are available in the disk designs for improved functioning in specific industries.
Applications of butterfly valves
Butterfly valves are considered to be high-performance valves that have applications in several industries. Examples of industries that has the best use of butterfly valves include chemical, food processing, pharmaceutical, high-temperature, and high-pressure water and steam services, water circulation, fire systems etc. It is also ideal to use in corrosive services that required lined valves.
Why choose butterfly valves over other types of valves?
Butterfly valves are preferred over ball valves by industries due to the following reasons.
- Easy and fast-opening – One of the major advantages of using butterfly valves is that it offers complete closure or opening of the valve. The function can further be simplified by using a gearbox which can be attached to the stem of the valve.
- Highly Economical -The design of the butterfly valves requires fewer materials; hence the cost incurred in manufacturing is less. Comparatively, the wafer type design is less costly than the lug type design.
- Compact Design – Due to the compact design, butterfly valve designs do not require much space when compared with the other types of valves.
- Better reliability– Butterfly valves are well-accepted by various industries because it needs reduced maintenance. It has a longer life than other types of valves and therefore the direct operating cost is reduced.
Get in touch with us
Started in 1982, Pradeep Metals Limited is India’s leading manufacturer and exporter of high-quality butterfly valves. The brand has grown to be one of the sought-after names in butterfly valve manufacturing for various industries globally.
Being one of the leading manufacturers of butterfly valves, Pradeep Metals Limited manufactures, supplies and exports best-quality butterfly valves at the competitive rates. We offer expert guidance and technical consulting in butterfly valves. Get in touch with us if you have any queries.